Click the picture to see a larger version
Recruit Training Command
The mission of Recruit Training Command is embodied in the Recruit Division Commander's Creed.
In 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt approved the founding of Naval Station Great Lakes. At the time, it was unheard of -- and many people were astounded -- to have naval training be done more than a thousand miles away from any ocean. And it was a novel idea, at the time, to train enlisted Sailors before they got to the fleet. Before 1881, enlisted Sailors joined the Navy and went directly to a ship. All their training took place underway.
With Capt. Albert Ross directing and supervising, Navy civil engineer Lt. George McKay and noted Chicago architect Jarvis Hunt joined forces to plan and design the original 39 buildings of Naval Training Station Great Lakes.
Great Lakes opened its gates July 1, 1911. Two days later, the first recruit arrived - Joseph Gregg, of Terre Haute, Indiana. When he graduated with the first class of 300 Sailors, President William Howard Taft was there along with Capt. Ross, Mr. Hunt, Lt. McKay, and 10,000 civilian spectators.
In 1917, the United States entered World War I. At Great Lakes tent cities sprouted up, while Sailors with skills in construction helped civilian workers build housing and training facilities.
Through the 1920s and early 1930s, Great Lakes had only an air base and a radio school. Recruit training slowed to a crawl, and was even halted for a time.
On Dec. 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese Imperial Fleet. At the time, there were just about 6,000 Sailors training at Great Lakes. Six months later, there were 68,000. By September, over 100,000 Great Lakes Sailors were in training.
Between the attack on Pearl Harbor and the surrender of Japan Aug. 14, 1945, more than one million Sailors were trained at Great Lakes.
By 1950, the Cold War was well under way. Very quickly, Great Lakes was as busy as it had ever been. In one week in 1951 the base graduated 98 companies of recruits, matching its record in WWII.
New RTC barracks, mess halls, classrooms, and staff offices, costing upwards of $8 million were built over the next decade. Those buildings served for nearly half a century before the current RTC rebuilding began in the late 1990s.
Navy SEALs began finding new people at RTC. The first experimental company of 37 recruits graduated in December 1967. They were chosen from 250 volunteers and given special recruit training to prepare them for the more rigorous SEAL training to come at Coronado and beyond. Many, perhaps all of them, served in combat in Vietnam
In 1987, RTC cut the ribbon for the Golden 13 Recruit Inprocessing Center, which now greets every new recruit who joins the Navy.
In 1993 -- in the wake of the drawdown after Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm -- the Base Realignment and Closure commission decided to shut down Naval Training Center Orlando and NTC San Diego.
As a result, in 1998 began the RTC Recapitalization Program, the most ambitious building program at Great Lakes since its founding in 1905.
On Sept. 11, 2001, the world changed again. Here at Great Lakes, RTC continues to do what it did in WWI, in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, training new Sailors with a sense of purpose. Supplying the fleet with top-quality, basically-trained Sailors ready for follow-on training is why we are here.